The oh so famous Fig Rosemary #vegan Cheese that everyone adores when I make. This creamy vegan spread is a wonderful addition to main meals, appetizer nights, and on your sandwich (if you eat those blessed creations). Pairing this with the sweetness of the fig and savoury rosemary leaves your taste buds dancing around. Not to mention this 'cheese' has billions of probiotics which in turn keep your gut healthy and immune system happy.
Makes 1 Ball
8 grams fresh garlic , minced
1/2 tsp salt
3 figs, chopped
2 strings of fresh rosemary (small)
2 cups cashews (soaked)
1/2 cup water
2-3 capsules of probiotic powder
DIRECTIONS: (do not use any metal)
- Soak the cashews for 6-8 hours. The longer the soaking time (not exceeding 8 hours) the smoother the cheese will be
- One cashews are soaked rinse and strain off any liquid
- Add cashews into the food processor. Pour water and blend on high. You may need to scrape down the sides if your craft is large. ** you can also use a Vitamix
- Blend until smooth
- Using a plastic spoon remove cashew mixture into a GLASS/PLASTIC bowl. Fold in probiotics by breaking the capsules open with PLASTIC spatula
- Spoon into a cheesecloth
- Twist the top of the cheese cloth tightly to form a ball and secure with an elastic band.
- Place the cheese ball into a plastic strainer and place a bowl underneath. This will catch any drippings.
- Let sit in a warmer area (away from direct sunlight) overnight.
** check taste by sampling a bit of the cheeseball. You want to taste a tangy flavour. If you do not let it sit for longer. This can take up too 24 hours depending on the warmth of the room.
- In the morning, remove the cheese from the cheesecloth and then mix in 8 grams fresh garlic (or 1 tsp garlic powder), salt.
- Mix in chopped figs, rosemary sprigs, and another other spice desired.
- Form into a bowl and let cool in the fridge for a few hours before serving.
- Finish off with extra figs, rosemary sprigs, and walnuts- for garnish.
If you do not want to ferment the cashews you don’t have too! You can simply take the cashews, water, and add 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast (or more depending on how cheesy you like it) and a dash of lemon juice for some tang. This removes the wait time for the probiotics to duplicate and ferment. Add remaining ingredients in (minus the probiotics) and leave in the fridge for 6 hours to harden before serving.